The thumbnails below are linked to larger pictures
Bourton-on-the-Water is not your typical sleepy idyllic
English village, this is really a tourist honeypot. It has got all the right
ingredients, with the river Windrush and its six arched bridges and wide grassy
banks, running parallel with the main street and dividing the the village in
two. The traditional Cotswold architecture, some dating back to the seventeenth
century, with honey coloured limestone walls, mullioned windows, stone tiled
roofs and a generous helping of gables. This village has everything and knows
it and on a warm summers day it makes a memorable visit, just promenade up one
side of the river and down the other, taking in all the sights.
It is not short on
attractions, including Birdland, a trout farm, model village, model railway,
motor museum (see separate
page) and a perfumery, there are also a number of pleasant walks to be had.
Of the above Birdland is my favorite, it has a large collection of exotic birds
including penguins, pelicans, Toucans and pink flamingos. Admission includes
the trout farm, where you can buy food to help feed the trout (now there's a
clever business idea) and all set in pleasant gardens (see additional section
on Birdland below).
All this and history too, with its older name of
Boroughton its origins can be traced back to Roman times and beyond, there is
evidence to indicate a Bronze age settlement (1500-700 BC). The Roman Fosse Way
which runs from the mouth of the Humber to Devon, passes the top of
Birdland was first established in 1957
sited in the centre of Bourton and was moved to its present site nearer to the
perimeter of the village in 1989. Set in about 7 acres of woodland with the
River Windrush, ponds and gardens it contains about 500 birds and over 50
aviaries, including tropical, temperate and desert Houses. The Trout farm was
existing at the new site and has been incorporated into the Birdland
|Bourton Model Village (April 2004)
The famous model
village is situated in the grounds of the 'old New Inn'. It is a replica in
local stone of one of the Cotswolds most beautiful villages.
local craftsmen in the 1930's, it was opened to the public on Coronation Day
1937 and remains one of the Cotswolds popular tourist attractions.
constructed in one-ninth scale and incorporates the river Windrush with its
distinctive bridges, together with the beech, willow and chestnut trees all in
miniature. It is complete with the Church of St. Lawrence and the music of the
actual choir. It even includes a model of the model village!.
Back to the top